Saturday, April 26, 2014

Must Love Dogs

That is a simple fact.

For me, and the canine curled between me and this laptop on which I am writing this post - it is a blessed fact.

I do like Chattanooga; love would be a little strong to say, but it is proving to be a good place for me.

But, I have been lonely.

I am a creature of habit: I am a collector and curator of people, friends and more; a frequenter of favorite places; a proponent of finding the good in my surroundings.

And, well, simply - something has been missing in my new life here. My doggus.

Luke came to Tennessee this week and - frankly? - I feel like a mommy with her first newborn! (I'm imagining this feeling, based on what friends say, post, etc) I can't stop gushing, posting, picture-ing . . .

My boy is here. Food? Dog food only, of course. Ok, a tiny bit of chicken that I dropped out of my quesadilla at lunch yesterday. But, real "food"? Real food is love, and sustenance - and my heart is over-full.

A lot of things have happened to me in the last year, and one of the most life-affirming things that has happened to me is having Luke here with me now. To love and to care for (to have and to hold - hee) - and to know that he still knows his mommy, and he doesn't want to leave my side now that he is here . . . I am, well, overwhelmed.

Hungry, not so much. Because I am being fed. With love.

One thing I am focusing on these days is being *present* - and something that is really helping me do that is my dog. When he sits on my lap, and I have to rearrange myself to reach the computer or my Diet Coke or whatever, or when a jingle jangle of tags follows me when I walk around my cute little apartment . . . small, precious, filling moments.

To close, a parting thought from one of my long time favorite actors in a particularly appropriate-now movie:

"You should have seen this girl - she's a mess, she's completely lovely..."



"... And she's a unique constellation of attributes."

And she - this girl - loves dogs.

My heart is full - Luke's tummy is - life, and God - are good.

Yours,
Love Bites,
Carrie Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment