Thursday, October 16, 2014

Lions and Galations and Jeremiahs, Oh My . . .

*Warning: This post is not so much about actual food, as it is love food. And it's a bit long. Real CN time. Be prepared. 

I think God meant for me to be a Leo. I don't think He's all into astrology and stuff - but I think He has His reasons. Always. He also had me born in the year of the Dragon, if you're into Chinese Astrology (That's like a double whammy. My parents should probably smack their heads and say,"What was He thinking???").

I was supposed, per doctors knowledge, to be born in July, so I would have been a Cancer. And some of that description is true of me. But He had different plans for me and my poor Mama, who had to wait a few more weeks that hot 1976 summer for me to be a Leo. Almost a "cusp" baby but really, almost absolutely, on the Leo side - you know me, right? - like this: 

Yes, Daddy knows I have this tattoo (not the word part - tacky, ha!). It is not where anyone would see it.
 I really meant like this: http://www.astrology.com/leo-sun-sign-zodiac-signs/2-d-d-66944


This summary presents a pretty damn accurate - and mostly flattering- summary of me. I've got the negative parts, true, for sure. I can be vain and bossy and self-centered, and don't hurt my feelings, let me get hangry on you, cross one of my lovies, or . . . my diplomatic side won't come out so much. Just sayin'.

But I like to think back to one of the first times I remember reading my horoscope the birthday month when I turned 12 (we didn't really study that at Sunday School, but "Teen" magazine, for those who remember, sure did) - was this, and I remember it verbatim: "You are a natural, and a friend to outcasts and optimists."

That has always stuck with me. I have, sincerely, considered it a huge compliment on my character from that day, from a silly girlish magazine - and from those who have given me similar ones since. Many have, indeed.

Because that is a great kind of person to be. 

My parents taught me many things, as have so many people since, and I am so grateful for that.

Life has been really hard for this Leo in the past years - it was so blessed, mostly easily and therefore expected, I now see - the grit and the perseverance, well, they come from many places. Sure, whatever, I mentioned astrology. Maybe that has something to do with it.

And this, a song I loved five years ago - well, it was true back when I remembered who I really was - and I've discovered it still is - 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IIK7W9L65k

But, here is what I was really taught - and believe.

"For I know the plans for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you; plans to give you hope and a future." 
- Jer 29:11

Oh boy, this has been a tough one to trust in these hard years. 

So has this one: "Let us not become weary in well doing, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." 
- Gal 6:9

Growing up, especially as a teen (go figure - no NKOTB posters - and if you know what I mean, you're as old as I am...), I posted Bible quotes and motivational quotes, on my bathroom mirror. I remember a handyman we used to have come regularly for minor repairs once to remark upon that to my Mama, saying "that's a special girl, there."  Notice taken. 

Then, I remember writing my Godfather a thank you note for an extremely generous gift to me for my education - to which he promptly responded it should have been addressed to both my Godmother and him; their money - and relationship - was dually worthy. Lesson learned. 

Then, I remember my greatest work mentor telling my parents, at our annual Christmas party (oh - we blew it out back in the day and *some* of the leftover liquor may have gone *missing* thanks to certain youngsters) . . . "She's my star." Compliment taken.

Then, I remember a recent boss saying . . . "You know why I like you? You work hard. And you're honest." Observation appreciated.

I also remember knowing that it was my precious Daddy who chose that Galations quote to put in the Westminster senior yearbook ad they took out (one of two, mind you - yeah, I was that spoiled).

And that is my truth. I have erred - oh, badly - from such. But that's the thing about God. Whether he wants me slinging wings or working in the insurance world again - or what? - I have to figure out what it will be. I believe He will help. Lord (no pun intended here), I hope He does.

Tonight, I have a beautiful, sweet dog with me, an amazing, loving family not far from me (well, R is a bit further), and Dr Teal's bubble bath if I keep being non-sleepy.

So, life is good. And it's up to me to do the above  - to be that faithful (and Leo!) person I was created to be.

Oh, and I made a good chicken and mushroom concoction for dinner.

Yours,
Love Bites,
Carrie Neal

 

No comments:

Post a Comment