Friday, October 24, 2014

Turkey-licious

Those who know me well know I really dislike Thanksgiving.

It's not the "thanks" part - definitely not - but it's the food part. Put simply, (sparing my Grandmother's absolutely amazing creamed corn and, truthfully, never dry turkey) I have traced my dislike back to a couple of specific incidents in my early and mid teens (one involved a tureen of pumpkin soup . . .).

But, I do endorse this animal as an edible delight in certain forms. Yada, yada, the holiday turkey is dry, blah blah blah another turkey sandwich for lunch is boring - whatever.

The following recipe is a riff on one I came across, which you should make for a few reasons: 1) I am suggesting it; 2) the original version is from Food Network Magazine (Ok, I do prefer Cooking Light, and yes, I do know magazines are supposed to be in quotation marks, but I like them better in italics, and this time FNM won out  - check out the site for tons of great ideas, like this more effort-required version of the one I got from the actual magazine - http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/skillet-lasagna-recipe.html); 3) you make it in a skillet - no baking required (!!); 4) it is SO. EASY; and 5) it is delicious. Should I go on?

So, if you like turkey, and lasagna and a version of turkey lasagna sounds good . . . try this (I wouldn't suggest with, say, that leftover holiday turkey - just get a good package of the ground stuff at your favorite store):

CN's Un-Fancy Awesome Turkey Skillet Lasagna

Ingredients:
(original recipe would serve 4-6, so adjust for amount and whether or not you want to have leftovers - I make enough for two adults, with a couple of leftover slices, using about 3/4 lb turkey)

1lb (or adjust for servings) ground turkey
No boil lasagna noodles - 4-8 depending on skillet size and number of servings (I like Barilla)
Olive oil (I have been using Colavita, but pick whichever you like)
Marinara sauce (I like Rao's but pick your fave)
Shredded mozz (I use 2%)
Ricotta (I use part-skim and I know DIY is better, but I buy Sorrento)
Salt, pepper and oregano to taste

Directions:
Heat appropriate sized skillet to med, med-high
Break apart ground turkey into "crumbles" (I do by hand - not a perfect science, just so you can brown it); add salt and pepper
Cook meat till just browned - should still be a little pink inside
Set aside

Choose your pan size of choice, depending on how much you want to make - best if you pick one that is oven-safe, so you can pop under broiler at end for that nice crisp crust

Layer: sauce, lasagna noodles, turkey, ricotta and mozz, another layer of noodles, sauce, and top with mozz; add salt and pepper and oregano (I love it so I add a lot of it!)

Cover and cook on med-low for 20-30 min - peek and check on done-ness between 15-20 min; I have found that with the ricotta and turkey added to the original recipe, the added moisture (vs. just cheese) requires a little more time. A little liquid on the sides is fine as long as noodles have sort of rolled up on sides of skillet, peeking out under the sauce.

Put under broiler on high for 1-3 min.

Serve. And don't do what I did the first time, and remove the skillet from the oven with a kitchen towel, only to place it back on the still hot burner and singe the towel. Just sayin'.

It's delicious, and easy enough I can make after work one night (and have leftovers), or you can too, or if you've got a family to feed. Maybe add a little Caesar salad and that (light) Texas Toast, and done and done. Even boys (ahem, men too) will like it all.

See, turkey isn't just a boring sandwich or a big fancy thing carved and served on one specific day.

But - it can be a special bird, when served with love. In lasagna form or not.

Yours,
Love Bites,
Carrie Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment