Sunday, July 26, 2015

Summer


The best time of the year. I don't get tan and don't really enjoying swimming, but set that aside. It is my happy time, involving some of my best memories and favorite adventures, not to mention my birthday. Maybe we all prefer the time of year in which we were born. I know that I do.

This summer has been full of "starts." New jobs, new apartment, everything short of new hair. That's on the bucket list before Labor Day.

I was thinking last night how much I love summer food. Of all the things I adore are summer fruits and veggies, and hamburgers. Happily, all of these can be found in abundance; spare me the root vegetables and roast beef, a home-grilled hamburger with sides of corn, tomatoes and watermelon and orange sherbert make my heart happy. 

I have a good friend I make a big dinner with every few months. In the winter, it might be spaghetti with his mom's meat sauce. In summer, it's freshly ground-that-day beef seasoned and grilled to perfection, better than most any you can find at a restaurant, especially at a generous half-pound per person. Corn, grilled asparagus, Vidalia onions and mushrooms, all from the farmer's market, as sides. All so good that the Ruffles and Dean's French onion dip are forgotten, and it takes a good hour or two after dinner before you're ready for dessert.

Heaven.

Summer, to me, is decks with view of the ocean, Dad putting PBR cans in the beach cooler, lots of sunscreen, and sticky hair days. 

And food, the good stuff.

Perfection on a plate.

Yours,
Love Bites,
Carrie Neal




No comments:

Post a Comment