Monday, August 19, 2013

Taco Me, Baby

These days, I am an expert on most things Mexican. Fajitas? 'Ritas? Swirls? (Do you know what a Swirl is? If not, come see me at The Restaurant and find out - I bet you'll like it!) My current area of expertise, y'all.

The new job has been a most welcome and needed distraction from the state of my heart - isn't it funny how that axiom about one door closing and all that is so very true? - and despite the temporary set back of a broken bone in my foot, I've proven to be off to a successful start.

Here's what I've realized - I might have found a home, career-wise. Y'all know how much I enjoy food and eating at restaurants, and most of you know I've dabbled in working at a number of them over the last few years, but this is the first time I feel like this could really be my next career. There's something about this company that just - fits. Not since I started in the insurance business have I felt as comfortable in a setting and with the people as I do now. Working as a server is hard - and doing it wearing a button down dress shirt and tie (in summer!) is not so awesome - and most days I feel a bit like this . . .

After ten or so hours serving food, even the simplest taco looks like the Holy Grail!


But, something has clicked. They're looking at me for potential management and I'm already getting more and better shifts and working my way up through the different levels of server certification. I have felt at ease and confident more quickly here than at any other restaurant where I've worked - I just get it. There is a very specific way of doing things at The Restaurant and sure, sometimes that can be a little "much," but it makes sense to me. Management was great to me with my foot situation and got me back on as a hostess then onto the floor as soon as I was ready, and since it was only a few weeks into the job for me I really appreciated that. 

I actually do love Mexican food and our food is really great, so it makes it easy selling a good product. Some days are better than others - isn't that the case with any job, from CEO to bus boy? - and I'm certainly still learning the ropes. But from the folks I've clicked with at work (my Gay Boyfriends are fascinated with my current dating life as well as dying to know about my recent break up but I'm keeping them wondering for now about all of that . . .) to the fun I'm having with customers, even on our infamous Taco Tuesdays (Want to see a mad house? Come see us for $1 tacos every Tuesday and watch the melee!), I'm doing well and finding joy.

So on this much-needed day off (working 23 of 30 hours will do that to a girl!), I'm reflecting on what tacos et al could mean for me, more than just for sustenance. Here's looking forward to great things ahead - come see me soon!

Yours,
Love Bites,
Carrie Neal




No comments:

Post a Comment