Saturday, January 11, 2014

Get Toasted

This time of year is perfect for true comfort food. Sure, fresh berries and light, flavorful salads are lovely in summer, but in winter, who (if they're honest) doesn't often want something a little . . .heartier, warmer, or otherwise heart pleasing?

My latest version of comfort food, breakfast addition, cold-weather fortification is something a good friend taught me about: salted, buttered toast. So simple yet so very delicious. Mine looks like this:

A piece of this yumminess with yogurt and a banana - perfect breakfast!

If you want to try this at home, here's how I do it (she uses a toaster but I like to use a pan on the stove): Heat the correct size pan (I use my smallest one for one piece and a larger for two) on medium; add butter and swirl to melt. Sprinkle a little salt (I've been using lite Morton's but sea salt or a flavored specialty salt would also be good!) then lay the bread on top. Let it "brown" to golden, a few minutes, add a little salt to the side that's up, then flip over and repeat with the other side. A few minutes more, and voila! Only takes a few minutes on each side to get a nice "toasted" look so leave it longer if you want it more done. And don't worry if you have to flip a couple of times- this won't bother it like when you flip a grilled cheese too much!

My tummy is always happy with this treat, and I feel good about the whole breakfast when I add yogurt, a banana, or maybe scrambled eggs to round it out.

Sometimes, especially on a cold rainy Saturday like today, this comfort is just what I need.

Yours,
Love Bites,
Carrie Neal


No comments:

Post a Comment