Thursday, September 5, 2013

Nachos, Heartbreak and a White Chocolate Truffle . . .

Nachos, Heartbreak and a White Chocolate Truffle...


How are these things all related? Read on, and you will learn.

I work in a Mexican restaurant (I usually refer to it as The Restaurant around here, just for propriety and anonymity's sake) yet I rarely eat Mexican food there. I love it, don't get me wrong, and I truly love the food (with the exception of two things, one being the chile relleno - gross!) at The Restaurant. But either a) we're too busy to eat between shifts, b) I don't like rice and beans, which is what servers can grab for free in a pinch, or c) by the time I'm done with a shift, particularly a double, I'm too freaking tired to eat. And I've yet to go in on a day off, though I've won enough contests (our managers like to do little "games" each day to motivate the servers - more on that topic later...) and the reward for winning those is usually a $10 or $20 gift card to use. I've got a bunch stored up. Yeah, I'm that good.

And, the Sweet Man and I used to eat at The Restaurant before The Great Demise. We ate out a lot and had our regular places; this was one on the semi-regular rotation. But we always had our order down - an order of beef fajitas for one and an order of veggie fajitas for one, to share. See, the skirt steak is So Good and the veggies are So Good in the veggie fajitas - zucchini, squash, portabello mushrooms and the like... - and the servings are huge; an order for one of each was more than enough to feed us. So, it's hard for me sometimes to keep my game face on and recommend this fave combination to a guest, despite how much I know they'll enjoy it; memories intrude.

And anyone who read my last post knows I've been struggling with food stuff. What's a girl to do with all these conundrums??

Make food at home when she has the night off, of course!!

And what sounded good tonight? Nachos, I kid you not. I'm at the point where I try to focus on eating a) at all, b) healthily and c) whatever sounds good so I'll actually eat it.

And tonight it was this . . .


CN's Special Nachos, pre-cheesing...
And the finished product . . .


And the finished version: avocado, tomato, chicken and my special cheese blend!
I actually ate most of them. And it was really good.

I got a text message after dinner that made me smile; I found some pictures that didn't. Enter the "heartbreak" quotient.

I decided to have a truffle for dessert - he gave me some last Easter and I liked the white chocolate ones best. I buy a different brand now, but I still like them.

I work a double tomorrow at The Restaurant, so I tell myself I'll work it all off . . . all . . . we will see, right?

Food - love - work . . .it's all, always, there, isn't it??

Yours,
Love Bites,
Carrie Neal


1 comment:

  1. Is "The Grand Demise" covered somewhere else? I searched back and I can't find any posts.

    Sorry - I'm kind of in the mood for tabloid distractions and I won't be watching The Real Housewives until after work. LOL

    ReplyDelete