Friday, October 5, 2012

Cooking For One

I don't know why it's felt different this time - maybe because I didn't fill my calendar with lunch and dinner dates and such?? - but since the boy's been gone, well, it's been odd and pleasurable to fend for myself.

By this I should say - clarify - he takes me out to one or more meals most days of the week, but when he travels, well, this girl is left to her own devices. Which are not inconsequential - whether cooking at home or finding other dining companions! I can handle it.

The past few days have been interesting, though, because I tried a couple of experiments, different than my usual pattern(s) when he and I aren't dining together: I turned down lunch or dinner invites post-Wed; everything had to be a "leftover" (ie, the tacos I had yesterday for National Taco Day that were leftover from Wed night Jalisco take out) or concocted from ingredients in my fridge or freezer . . . how did I do??

Well, I missed my best boy a lot - and seeing pics of his eats at schmancy places while traveling did not help - but . . . 

Thursday, I only ate leftovers: hey, two soft tacos and some Jalisco chicken soup is plenty for this girl in a whole day! Today, a thawed out bagel (half- I burned the other . . . ) with tomato and Meunster (gotta love YDFM for good bread products, just sayin' . . .) for breakfast/brunch, a handful of healthy nuts (almonds and whatever else you're supposed to eat, for linner - about 3pm) and some sauteed mushrooms and stir-fry beef for dinner. WOW! Two days of non/already paid for meals . . . it makes me think. I could do this more often - don't get me wrong, I can't wait for the boy to be back and us to go out more, but it was good to . . . use the stuff in my fridge.

I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating at home. I enjoy dining out. I mostly enjoy food and drink with good company, no matter the locale (Lucas is great but not as responsive as the boy or a friend, so to speak . . .) . . . I'm looking forward to the boy being back in town, but also to finding more of my own balance of eating in vs. out . . . stay tuned!

Yours,
Love Bites,
Carrie Neal
No, I did not cook this. It was one of his fancy dinners while traveling. I think my meat and veggies were probably better . . . but who's to say?? Pictures aren't everything!


No comments:

Post a Comment