Tuesday, September 11, 2012

"Delivery!"

This girl has had a rough week or so. A follow-up doctor's visit last Wednesday turned into a do-not-pass-go, go-straight-to-the-ER episode that resulted in my five-day staycation at Piedmont Hospital. Eep!

Sparing you all the gory details, I'll just say that somehow e-coli infected my bladder, then my blood and it turned into a severe kidney infection. My stats and vitals were all over the place - from crazy high blood pressure to scary low, a heart rate as high as 144 bpm, fever up to 104, and excruciating pain throughout my stomach and lower back. It was quite the ordeal.

I often have a hard time keeping food, drink and medicine down when stressed (and I was a little stressed mentally and obviously physically to say the least, here!) and I get particularly nauseous to boot so even if I feel a little hungry and want to try to eat, it's not often a success.

Hospital food also tends to be less tasty than my usual daily fare. It's not terrible, but you can't expect a hospital food service to match Bistro Niko, right?

Tilapia with orange sauce courtesy of Piedmont Hospital's dining service
But! I lucked out and had other delivery services available. Living so close to Piedmont and having parents, a boyfriend and other friends also in close proximity meant that I got spoiled by having treats from my usual haunts brought to me. My troops did anything that they could to entice me to eat. Daddy brought lunch one day, my favorite turkey sandwich from Panera (just turkey, romaine, Swiss and cucumbers on French) and a CamiCakes red velvet cupcake (sooo yummy!) . . . Mom brought a stash of diet coke and one day a breakfast plate from Another Broken Egg with scrambled eggs, bacon, an English muffin and tomato slices . . . The Boy really outdid himself with another breakfast from ABE one morning, a "date night" spread of a Houston's smorgasbord of my favorite things - the smoked salmon app, the Club Salad with my requested moderations. . . Fellini's pizza and salad (and "Ronin") for another date night . . . a steak and side of pasta from Brio for a third. I might not have eaten much of any of their treats, but they were so thoughtful to take care of me, I tried, and at least I kept what I did manage to eat down. And felt a little stronger with each meal. And felt even more grateful to have the people who love me taking care of me in this particular way.

Houston's yummy Club Salad for me and a grilled salmon steak for him  (my fave smoked salmon app not shown) - mmmm, such a treat!
Grocery delivery! Maybe those bananas will help boost my very low potassium level, along with the supplements.

Daddy knows just how I like my turkey sandwich from Panera and the CamiCakes was a sweet touch!

While I was gone, my mom was sweet enough to clean my apartment and do my laundry - and "clean out" my fridge as she saw fit. I came home to a pristine fridge - missing a few of what I consider staples. My energy level is definitely not up to par yet, and the thought of grocery shopping was more than I could handle. So when my sweet Godmother called yesterday to see how I was and what she could do for me, as bad as I can be about accepting help, when she suggested she come over to visit, then maybe we make a grocery list and she could run get me a few things I'd need and like. . . under the circumstances, I said "yes, please" to another angel in my life.

Food can be healing in so many ways - obviously, for its nutritional content, but also for its comfort factor. It can be made or delivered with love. It can be extended as a peace offering or as something to give when  there's little else you can do. It really does cover a multitude of sins, "fix" (at least temporarily) one's current ills, bring smiles to faces and create an opportunity for people to connect.

That, my friends, is a perfect kind of delivery in my book.

Yours,
Love Bites,
Carrie Neal


No comments:

Post a Comment