Saturday, September 1, 2012

Food For A Friend

I have a friend who is on bed rest, possibly until her December due date. This friend is actually someone I'd only known online via Yelp til today. When I took her food and other treats and we had a wonderful visit.

Since I have a little time on my hands, when I saw that she had posted about her situation and asked for suggestions of places that delivered or were nearby for family and friends to pick things up for her - just so she didn't always have to eat hospital food (though when I saw the menu of her choices, I was impressed - but anything that's the same gets old, so I totally get it!) - I offered to make her something, whatever she wanted. I'm good with pasta dishes, casseroles, a few other things. And while I'm chronically bad at accepting help (I mean, I've only let the boy bring me food when I needed something maybe twice), I love doing nice things for others and when I make an offer - well, like I said to her, "I wouldn't offer if I didn't mean it." (Hmm, perhaps I should take my own words to heart when someone asks me what I need??). She thought muffins and fresh fruit sounded great. And tea. No one likes those "fruit cups" the hospital serves, or bland tea, and since the Boy liked the muffins I made him the other day so much, it was game on!

I got up this morning and made my blueberry muffins, and put together a goody bag. A couple boxes of (decaf) flavored tea so she had some choices, fresh strawberries and (score, as she loves it!) a couple of kiwi. Threw in a good new book - if you haven't read Emily Giffin's newest book, Where We Belong, do!) and a few DVD's (a "Law & Order" season, "16 Candles," and the winner since she has not seen it, "Eat, Pray, Love"- score!) and I was off to play foodie fairy friend.

It's no fun being cooped up, so to speak, but if there's a small way you can care for someone - well, it does this girl's heart good.

Yours,
Love Bites,
Carrie Neal








No comments:

Post a Comment