Sunday, September 23, 2012

Wheat Belly

Wheat Belly

So, I am absolutely FASCINATED by this topic: wheat. Bear with me (and check out this book summary my sweet and clever friend Kim shared on FB - go to The Healing Project- Wheat Belly) . . .

The author of Wheat Belly, William Davis, MD, posits that it is wheat that is responsible for . . . well, a lot of our physical (and emotional/psychological!!) ailments. Could this be true?? I don't think I eat a lot of wheat but reading the facts about its impact on glucose/insulin levels alone was enough to give me pause about what I DO eat, wheat-wise . . . and with my recent health scare (an e-coli based kidney infection) and associated symptoms from my experience, many of which rang true with examples Dr. Davis gave of what wheat can do and cause in your body, it's got me thinking . . .

Eggs - no increase in blood sugar levels. Full-fat cheese and good fats like avocado - excellent. Wheat-based products, particularly in the most "modern" versions, which have changed substantially in the last century, to the products (muffins, bagels, etc - did you know that the Average American, based on studies, consumes almost the equivalent, in wheat volume, of a loaf of bread a day??? I was shocked.) we now know and commonly eat . . . more glucose than a Snickers!! Wow.
.
I am going to have to mull this over - I mean, I love my pizza and my quesadilla habits, but what if cutting out wheat (ie, following the recommended diet suggestions in Chapter 14) totally changed how my body feels, looks, operates . . . it is a fascinating concept.

Read it and let me know what YOU think! Food for thought, indeed, to me.

Yours,
Love Bites,
Carrie Neal


Wheat Belly by William Davis, MD

No comments:

Post a Comment