Friday, September 21, 2012

The Sweetest Thing

The Sweetest Thing

See, he and I met over food. A local place that we both went, often, near his office and back in my very early days of writing food reviews, etc. This was about six+ years ago. Occasional happenstance on encountering each other turned into a friendship; it developed over the years.

Oh, he heard all my tales and travails - from "he's a nice guy, but..." to "OMG, he is totally crazy (note: that was definitely not an embellishment)"  . . . we knew each other well, let's say.

Then - something changed - spring, the air, too-good of a pizza that day we met for lunch . . . and it was on. And over the last five months - I've realized I'm in love with my best friend. This man knows me. He knows the good - the bad - the . . .everything. We're weirdly dorky in the same ways (he has this habit of telling stories where he mentions people's names with first and last; we both use words like "rubbish" . . . that sort of thing) and we are "foodie" in the same way - we can order something to share or split, decide on a dish, get  eat-in or to-go . . .it's seamless, the way we are about food - which is especially meaningful to me, given both my food history (he knows all my weird proclivities and past experience) and my love of "good stuff." We have one to three meals most days, together, and whether it's eggs or pizza or a good steak  - it just works.

I love him.

I love that he gets me, and I love that alot of our relationship is spent contemplating each other (and tackling the world's problems) over food. He's like my dad - stands up from the table, has me order first, always asks what I want- and either decides for us when he knows I want him to, or acquiesces to what I want . . . whether it's a grilled artichoke, a filet, or sushi  . . . or chicken fingers . . . whether it's food or love, it all works for me.

Maybe I got it right this time??

Yours,
Love Bites,
Carrie Neal



No comments:

Post a Comment