Friday, September 21, 2012

Oh, Yelp-y Love!

Oh, Yelp-y Love!

I have so many thoughts in my head right now, but one of the most recurring themes is the fantabulous dinner I had last night at Briza - with some of my most favorite "foodie" friends.

See, I'm a dork about certain things. Like vocabulary words and shoes . . . and good food. And my love for writing and chronicling "everything" met its match when I discovered Yelp five (!!! Time flies!!!) years back. As an "Elite" reviewer, I get lots of perks- special events, fun functions, the general "credibility" of having an opinion that means something (and I have loved reviewing on Yelp as an adjacent act to my paid writing reviews, whether resto or other. . . ) but last night . . . Was. Special.

Those of us who are "Elite"for five years or more get "Gold" status and last night there was a very, very, very (can I just say "wow"??) special dinner for the OG's (Original Golds, Atlanta Version) at Briza.

It was amazing. The service was exceptional - the company (we Yelpers think we're pretty cool but the 16 of us that were there - yeah, we rocked) was even better - and the food was excellent. We had a four-course, wine-paired dinner and it was just . . . awesome. I tend to dislike "fixed" menus in general because when there isn't a choice, usually what's up for one or more courses is not something I would order- this was the total opposite. Honestly? I'd order every dish they picked for me on a next-visit (and I plan to, because it was all so good AND because we got a gift certificate as part of our thank-you-goodie-bag!!) A starter of ahi tuna (meaty but small, perfectly sized, with kale chips!), a delicious pumpkin soup (creamy, yummy. and served in this cool mason jar with a flip-top lid) and a NY strip with a baked potato ("serrated" not "fluffed" and with a piece of bacon between each "slice"- OMG!) . . . I foisted my dessert off on my dining neighbor, not having much of a sweet tooth and being so happy with what I'd had.

Food + Friends = Fun. Simple equation, proven true (yet again) last night. Some people don't understand my relationship with Yelp - but if you've met the people I have through this site, and become friends online and in real-life, and you get to experience the kind of events I do as an Elite Yelper - you know what I mean about FFF.

I'm so glad my relationship with food has evolved through the years (no more anorexic teen eating an apple a day or melting fat-free cheese on a bagel- harrumph!), and that I have the privilege of writing about my dining escapades (on Yelp and other sites, some paid!!) and living out this passion I have . . . Because food is love - especially when in good company. And sharing the "tale" of it, well, that's a savory feeling to me.

Yours,
Love Bites,
Carrie Neal


Briza: a Midtown spot you must try!

No comments:

Post a Comment