Thursday, September 27, 2012

Leavin' On a Jet Plane . . .


So my sweetie is gone for an important business trip, and I miss him muchly. Ok, ok, it's not for that long, just today til the weekend. He even stopped by to say a quick good morning and give me a kiss before his flight. (Girl chorus, "awww"). But I'm so used to  - we're so used to - seeing each other every day, and usually over one or two meals or at least a quick drink after work or a morning hello before our days begin that it feels weird to think "huh, what am I going to do for lunch??" Or dinner. Or even breakfast as we've been known to have all three together some days. Yes, we're that couple. We give each other schmoopy cards (he even came up with a Chinese Panda pen pal, "Peter Panda," who writes to Luke - how sweet is that??) and I get flowers and he gets homemade goodies brought to the office when he pulls an all-nighter, and we write each other emails and send quotes that make one of us think of the other . . . that kind of stuff. Yes, we text each other good night and good morning every day. It works for us.

So today, I did make my own breakfast (toast with avocado and swiss, yum) and lunch was solved when a dear friend of mine had me write some copy for him for his upcoming photography show (he needed help with his Artist Bio) and bought me lunch at Jalisco (I'm still supposed to eat fairly "bland" so chicken soup worked). Now I'm getting prettified at my dear hairdresser's . . . and contemplating what to do for dinner. Cook at home? Might be a nice change. I am sure I actually do have some good stuff I could rustle up. Go to one of our regular spots so it kinda feels like he's here? Hmm, maybe a little too co-dependent, or just either routine or not-the-same. Try someplace new (I have no problems going places solo, don't get me wrong)? Hmmm. . . decisions, decisions.

He has a business dinner and I'll figure it out here - I'm sure we'd rather be at one of our regular spots instead - but it's kind of nice to miss someone you love, and look forward to your next meal together. I'm just sorry he'll miss my 'do looking it's best tonight - but that's what cell phone pics you text your boy are for, right?

I hope you have someone you love to connect with over good food, whether it's eats at one of the Food Truck lunches or dinners, take-out Chinese from your favorite place, bar food at that favorite neighborhood spot where they all know you, or fancier digs and dishes from a favorite place like Paul's (see pic from last night's dinner!) . . . and if you miss a few meals together, take care of yourself and look forward to picking things back up when you're reunited. And maybe have a sweet or silly card on hand for your beloved.

That's how we roll, anyway, and it's pretty sweet, and savory.

Yours,
Love Bites,
Carrie Neal


He wanted Surf 'n I wanted Turf - Paul's had the perfect combination (plus veggies and fries and all kinds of sauces!).





No comments:

Post a Comment